Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Can my laptop play Far Cry 2 or Crysis?

I have a Toshiba laptop with an AMD Turion x2 64-bit processor. an ATI Radeon x1250 graphics card with 3 gigs of ram on 32-bit vista home premium. So can I play Far Cry 2 or Crysis at all? Mainly I'll just be using the games for their map editors in my spare time, nothing big really.Can my laptop play Far Cry 2 or Crysis?
Plenty of people will tell you that you can run those games on your laptop but you really expect a lot from it, I have tried time and time again to warn people of the risk they are taking trying to run hardcore shooters on a portable system which doesn't have the heat dispersal system needed to cool the CPU, this causes it to overheat, the frame rate drops and with Intel processors will freeze and, with AMD, will just crash the system. Eventually the heat will fry the motherboard and your laptop will be kaput, it will probably cost as much to get it fixed as it would to buy a new laptop. Yes laptops are more powerful these days but it is in order for manufacturers to outdo each other, everybody wants a more powerful system so they can say wo, I've gotta zillion gigs, but they are not designed for the heat generated by even moderate rpg's never mind shooters which demand 60 frames per sec running for hours at a time! - Not that they would run for hours at a time! If you stuck to map editing you might be ok but there is always the temptation to play the maps. It's up to you, I'll probably be the only voice out of 10 or 15 who will say no, and the majority are always right. It's your machine and I've told you what I think, best of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment